Monday, December 28, 2009

My Memoir

For the past couple of years, off and on, I have been writing a memoir/autobiography. It all started when I had to write one as an assignment while I was inpatient at a treatment facility. And since then, I have been writing more and going deeper into my life, my past, my recovery, ect. It has been an emotional but very eye-opening experience for me. 

Whether I keep it for myself, share it with family & friends, or maybe try to have it published (though I am not sure why strangers would want to read about my life...) I haven't decided yet, but either way this process has been very healing for me. There are still things from my past that I am having a hard time letting go of or forgiving - but I have been able to understand and forgive myself and others for a lot of the things from my past. And I believe that through writing, whether it is through my personal journals, this blog, poems and songs, and my memoir/autobiography - it has been a very therapeutic way for me to heal and understand my past, my emotions, my feelings, and events that have happened in my life.

I love writing and I am so thankful for this gift to write because it has truly helped me to understand why the things in my past happened the way they did, but most importantly, it has helped me to understand...myself!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for keeping up with the writing after the initial assignment. Drawing has been a similar healing tool for me. It was as if I was learning about ME by making pictures of my life. I am glad that writing has helped you, and I bet, if you ever published your story, your writing would help other people, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an outstanding writer. I think there are many who would love to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would happily read it anyday!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete