Thursday, February 18, 2010

word of the day

This is how I feel most of the time about recovery and dealing with life in general. Especially in regards to my eating disorder.
---
Maladaptive: is a term used in psychology to refer to patterns of thinking and behavior that cause and maintain emotional problems. A maladaptive thinking pattern sometimes can be accompanied by "irrational beliefs," that are held even though they are not true. It causes the person to be unable to cope.  Maladaptive behaviors refer to types of behaviors that inhibit a person's ability to adjust to particular situations. This type of behavior is often used to reduce one's anxiety, but the result is dysfunctional and non-productive. For example, avoiding situations because you have unrealistic fears may initially reduce your anxiety, but it is non-productive in alleviating the actual problem in the long term.  Maladaptive behavior: Two aspects to this are 1) maladaptive to one's self - inability to reach goals, to adapt to the demands of life, 2) maladaptive to society - interferes, disrupts social group functioning.

4 comments:

  1. You won't be maladaptive forever. Eventually you'll learn better ways of coping, and these will lead you to a brighter future.

    Have faith and patience :-)
    Recovery can and will happen.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say your word is "courageous." You are one strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your encouraging comments on my blog, they mean so much to me. I think I'm feeling a little maladaptive at the moment and I agree with Carol, I think you are courageous!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that word's going to be rolling around in my head all day. I like how it sounds, but wish I didn't identify with it as I do. We don't have to though babe, we can be NON-maladaptive. xoxo Tia

    ReplyDelete