Saturday, March 20, 2010

affirmation time!!

I usually tend to struggle a lot with affirmations because I tend to not believe them & I feel like a hypocrite when my actions and beliefs (...ed's beliefs...) don't always support these statements - but I guess that is the whole point of them. They are meant to be repeated over and over and over... to yourself until they become truths and beliefs instead of the lies that are stuck in your mind. So, considering where my whole thought process has been lately (and it only seems to be getting worse) I know it's a good time to give affirmations another go! I wrote out a bunch of them and posted them above the mirror in my room so I can look at them, read them, say them outloud - every morning as I am getting ready for the day. Also, anytime I walk into my room I can walk over and read them. I made them eye level so they are easy to see.

I am not going to lie and pretend that I believe these statements but I hope that if I really give these affirmations a honest try in my recovery and give them a chance - they will sink into my brain and replace the ED thoughts that I struggle with. So here are some of the affirmations I have on my wall.

* Each day is a step closer to recovery & health.

* I love my body & I will embrace it!

* I am giving my body the portions it needs to maintain a healthy weight.

* I am strong for choosing treatment!

* I am strong for choosing recovery!

* I will not let food or weight define my self-worth.

* I will be patient with myself.

* I am surrounded & protected by love.

* I am loveable & I am loved.

* I am building physical strength to be able to cope with emotional needs.

* I deserve to eat. I deserve to be happy and healthy.

* My identity will be beautiful no matter its size.

* I have the will, strength, & desire to continue working on recovery.

* I need to trust my body & allow it to heal.

* You are who you are, not who you used to be.

* Everyone has a different body, perfect & unique to them.

* My body is a miracle. It is a blessing to care for and nourish it with food.

* When I think about my body - I think positively.

* Both my physical & emotional well-being literally depend on my healthy choices.

* I am ready to say goodbye to the me of the past & hello to the healthy new me.

* It's okay to be mad. It's okay to be sad. It's not okay to ruin something important like my health when I am upset.

* If I am thinking only of food & weight - what am I avoiding thinking?

* It is my right & my joy to achieve & maintain a healthy weight.

* I deserve to reach & maintain a healthy weight.

* I choose to eat. I choose recovery. I choose life!

* I am beautiful. I gratefully accept the body that is mine.

* Too much or too little food numbs my feelings & erases (takes away) my ability to be free & alive.

* I am beautiful inside & out.

* Day by day, in every way, I am acheiving a healthy weight.

* There is a strong, intelligent, & capable person inside of me. I am letting her take over my life more & more each day as I am ready.

* I accept you, my body, & I will do everything I can to support you in healing & recovery.

* Do the next right thing.

* Food is neither good nor bad. But in moderation, all foods provide nourishment for my body, mind, & soul.

* I will trust myself to make food choices that consider my body, mind, & soul.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! You ARE and CAN do these things :) You're right though, it does take time for the truth to sink in and the lies to be replaced.

    Always here to listen madame xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in you!!!
    I especially like the one about trusting your body which is SO hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your affirmations. Good for you for going with this! I have a lot of problems with affirmations too because I just feel like an idiot saying them over and over but I think you're right that you can use them to replace the ED thoughts. I feel like those thoughts can get so ingrained and I always tend to look at them as the "truth" when really they are only delusions.

    Take care and keep telling yourself that you are beautiful because you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic list... I am guessing it worked? Repeating them over and over let them pass through the lie and become your truth?

    ReplyDelete