Saturday, March 20, 2010

oh snap!

I am seriously feeling annoyed at the moment, and I am sitting in front of a computer so I need to vent for a minute...

The doctor that I mentioned in the previous post, just snuck up on me a few minutes ago. When I talked to him yesterday and he found out I was volunteering here, I think I made a mistake of telling him the days I volunteer -friday and saturdays. And now I guess he feels the need to check up on me(??) He walked up and started talking to me again. He asked if I have been drinking lots and lots of water (because he is my kidney doctor) and I said with a big smile on my face "Yep, I sure am!" He looked at my desk and said "I don't see any water..." Busted!!! He said he would watch my desk while I went and bought me some water at the cafeteria and also told me that he wants to see a snack in my hand as well when I come back. Was that really necessary? How old am I again? I just hope that this doesn't become a habit for him. I know he has better things to do than worry about me and whether I am eating enough, drinking enough, and "being good". I was really tempted to bring back a diet coke instead of water (cause I am not supposed to be drinking caffeine because of my kidneys) but I didn't. I am trying to work on being more compliant and non-defiant when it comes to people on my treatment team. So I brought back a big water bottle and a huge muffin!

I know he means well, and he does have a point because I struggle to drink the amount of water he wants me too, and lay off of the caffeine but... when I am here volunteering, I want to be just another regular person - NOT a girl with an ED and lots of health problems...is that expecting too much?? It seems like everywhere I go, I somehow am still the girl with the ED. I can't get away from it!

3 comments:

  1. I guess this guy only has your best interests at heart, but I know how annoying it can be when people make it their mission to check up on you.

    Try not to let this tarnish your volunteering experience though...

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how it would be annoying, but on the other hand it is pretty rare to have a doc that cares so genuinely and wants to take time to check up on you and make sure you're okay. I think it's pretty sweet- but again, I can definitely see how it would kind of feel like he's putting his nose where it doesn't belong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the others, I think its good that he cares enough to say something and the like, BUT I kinda think that its a bit unprofessional unless you've talked about it with the health professional and decided that its okay for them to check on you outside of treatment (which you haven't)... humm... tricky :(

    However, GO YOU! For not being completely defiant and not getting the diet coke hehe. Trying to be compliant is really hard in general and its great that you're making an effort to do so :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete