Thursday, April 1, 2010

bad attitude(?)

I understand that you have to give up things if they are bad for you and are hurting you but... I really heart my caffeine! And I don't want to give if up! I will, but I don't want to and I am not happy about it.

Maybe I am in a bit of denial or maybe I just have a bad attitude... but I can't imagine living the rest of my life without caffeine! But every damn time I have tried to limit the amount I drink to just a little bit - I always fall off the wagon and am back to drinking it all the time again. So what do I do??
--
Do I continue with my thinking that "it's not a big deal" and that I am okay and continue drinking it and hurting my body?
Or
Do I abstain completely from it??
--
I realize that this is total black and white, all or nothing thinking but I can't seem to find a middle ground here...I don't know...maybe I just need some perspective from y'all and people who are not on my treatment team. So if any of you could share your two cents (whatever it might be) it would be much appreciated. And if you feel you need to be brutally honest with me, I can take it so - please don't hold back.


thanks,
me

5 comments:

  1. If it is hurting your body hun, I'd definitely give it up. I can only imagine how hard it must be, but maybe you can try and distract yourself when the cravings set in, or you feel rubbish?

    Your health is so so important, and there's only so much your body can take, so if you need to give it some tough love by ditching the caffeine, then so be it.

    I wish I could offer some useful words or advice, but what I will say is that I believe in you, and please do take care.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I feel your pain. I LOVE my caffeine or maybe I more love the forms caffeine comes in. Energy drinks... Coffee... Tea and chocolate even. I find I can actually handle just having decaf instead of regular coffee and I'm still happy but energy drinks it's kind of all or nothing. I try to avoid getting them because they cost and really aren't good for you anyway. I say if it's going to be better for your body and your health it's probably worth it to give it up. Good luck to you girl! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no good advice because I am in the same boat. I ingest caffiene like there is no tomorrow! Coffee all morning, diet cokes all day, then maybe more coffee. Its sick. i tried to limit it, but i was just so miserable. Then I thought, why torture yourself? Few things in life give me pleasure. Its those simple pleasures that make life bearable. It's not like I'm snorting coke or anything like that.

    Well having said that, I recognise that your situation is different. You have kidney issues and other medical issues that I dont have. I guess if I was hurting myself by drinking so much caffiene, then I would try to find out what a safe amount was and just have that. Good time to challenge your all or nothing thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that some things its good to find a middle ground with... but usually with something that has such strong addictive qualities to someone (such as caffeine does to you), I say that you would need to COMPLETELY abstain to begin with and then after you know 6 months or longer then you could SEE if you can manage a small amount... but given your body and the need to stop, I honestly think you need to completely 100% stop drinking it. Sorry sweetheart xo

    ReplyDelete