Wednesday, April 7, 2010

these are a few of my favorite things...

I realize that I haven't been very positive lately in my posts. This blog focuses a lot on my struggle with anorexia and my path to recovery and unfortunately (and especially because of where I currently am on that path) - that means a lot of my posts might not be filled with sunshine, flowers, and happy thoughts. But... I do need to try to focus more on the positive things that are going on in my life and when I am feeling very overwhelmed and I feel like the ed is trying to drown me - I try to think of the simple things in my life that can bring me moments of happiness, comfort, and peace. So, here are a few of those things (and I will try to add more later):

- waking up in the morning and hearing the birds singing outside & the sun shining through my bedroom window
- getting hugs from my nieces and nephews
- discovering great finds at thrift stores
-going on dates (but this has a taken a backseat to my recovery at the moment)
-taking long walks or going on a hike
- afternoon naps
- hearing someone tell me they love me
- watching an old favorite like Pretty Woman, Ghost, Love Story, Sixteen Candles, Dirty Dancing, Only You, Breakfast At Tiffany's (or any Audrey Hepburn movie)
- getting hugs from people I love
- going to the park and swinging on the swings
- laying outside and feeling the sun on my face & body
-shopping! (or window shopping when I am broke!) or just getting out of the house
- listening to old songs I love like "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin
-being around friends or people I love whom I can be myself with
- anything that can let me be creative or artistic (yes, even coloring!)
- looking through old photos and letters
- taking a hot shower or bath, painting my nails, getting a new haircut, etc.

Those are just some of the things that can bring me comfort and a moment of peace when I am feeling like I am drowning and crumbling. I think it's so important to be aware of these things so you can look for them as a light out of the darkness and to help you realize that there are things, even little things, that can comfort you when you are struggling. It's something that I don't always do but I am trying to... and I challenge y'all to make a list of your own of things you can turn to, so when those moments of pain or sadness come - you have a list right there (to help remind you) of things you can do to bring some comfort into your own life.

9 comments:

  1. Taking a nap in the sun is one of my favorite things! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift shops! Totally addicted to them! But it's thise simple things in life that can sometimes be the best therapy we need at the time.
    Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! A lot of these would be on my happy list too :) I think I need to make one. It is definitely easy to get caught up in the crappy stuff and forget about all the good things. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like :-) recovery really taught me to appreciate things like this, and it's important to remind ourselves of the general amazingness of life on a regular basis.

    Your title actually made me thing of the song from The Sound of Music, and I expected you to be talking about raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens etc etc hehe

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the list. I do want to make a list of my own! Keep engaging in activities that make you feel good... everyone should do that. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! I'm totally going to make my own too. I love it! :) HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. coloring... I love that.I have like 3 coloring books and i'll sit down and color. It's funny all my grandparents grandchildren (my cousins and I) are all in our teens or 20's and we all love to sit down and color. Went to a family reunion and all of us were coloring. It's so nice it's like being a kid again and nothing else matters. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do this too! make lists...yours made me happy - many of those would fit nicely on my list, as well. :)
    wishing you the best,
    shawna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful list - I did one awhile back on my blog,m and everytime I read it, I just have to do one of the things on it - its all about "living in the moment" and making NO ROOM for the ED!!

    Love to you,
    Jennifer xxoo

    ReplyDelete