Saturday, August 28, 2010

i may have fallen down... but i've already started getting back up!

I am in the process of trying to find a new treatment team. And it's definitely a process. But I feel like I need a change, a new direction from where my old tx was leading me. I am also hesitant because it's been a few months (since I suddenly stopped...er....quit treatment) and I don't want to become too dependent on treatment again like I have in the past (and a couple of the last tx relationships ended kind of badly, as some of you might remember- and it still kinda hurts) but I also understand & recognize that I do need to be back in the care of a treatment team right now to make sure I get back on track medically, nutritionally, emotionally... until I am able to take care of myself better in these areas.

I want desperately to be strong enough in my own recovery (and as a regular every day functioning adult...hello!) to NOT have to rely on treatment but I am also aware that as I am taking this huge step forwards in my recovery - I am going to NEED the support of a really good treatment team behind me. Because there are still behaviors that I am struggling with right now. And feelings that are and will be coming to the surface that I am not prepared to face. And I know I am going to need their support, guidance, & care as I let go of the hurt I have held inside for soooo long. I am going to be facing some things that are painful. And it's going to hurt. Alot. And I am afraid. But I will face them! And I will "feel the fear and do it anyway!" Because only through healing, letting go of the pain, and learning to "feel my feelings" is how I am going to truly break away from the powerfully strong grasp that this illness has on me. It's the only way. But then, finally, I will break through to the other side. The side that has been waiting for me to find the courage to fight through all the fears & the yuckiness. The side I have felt I could never belong to - because I felt I was forever trapped inside this life of food & weight & control...

I am nervous about facing some truths at the doctors office. Not really looking forward to this one. At all. Like I said, it's been a few months since I have been in any sort of treatment or medical care, which means, it's been a while since I have had any blood work or labs done. And despite all of my hard work and effort during these past few months in trying to reach and maintain a healthy weight (and I WAS actually starting to make progress in this area, by the way) - this recent relapse has caused my weight to drop back down pretty low again. Plus, all of the usual physical signs & symptoms - I know my labs & blood work can't be that great...so... it's time to face the music. Put on my brave face and admit that "yes, I have once again failed, but I am picking myself back up, dusting myself off, and trying again."

So even though I might be further back than I would like to be, it's okay. Because I know I am going to be okay. Things are going to turn around, things are going to get better. I have an amazing family who loves me. They reminded me of that during our family vacation recently. They can see through the illness to that girl I have always been. That girl who has been lost, struggling to break free... they can see her. They have never stopped loving her, and they have never stopped fighting for her! And I have amazing friends who love me, support me, and just want their friend "jenn" back. I want her back too! I just need to find her. And I will!

4 comments:

  1. everyone I know in recovery tried to do it alone. EVERYONE WANTS TO DO IT ALONE. no one wants a damn treatment team. I mean, its hard to admit you need one and that they help. It's hard to find the healthy boundaries with them, but that's what they are there for, to help you set them.

    I'm glad you're back in treatment. I love my treatment team and they've helped so much...

    take care and best of luck
    xoxo
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, I'm glad you're trying to find a treatment team. Don't look at it as a weakness. It's not. I'm sure you wouldn't call me weak for needing one, right?

    I'm going to meet you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point to focus on is the strength you are showing to "pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and try again." You are AMAZING!

    As you work hard on your recovery remember you have a huge group of friends and loved ones in your corner to root you on and give you a steadying hand if you slip a little, but most of all you have the Lord who knows everything you are going through and will ALWAYS be at your side helping you along the way :) I am so glad you have had such a faith building experience recently & I am so grateful your family has been such a loving support to you.

    I love you sooooooo much and I hope you will call on me if you ever need me.

    Keep moving forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. accept recvery and get moving in it... an ED does not fit anywhere in your future.

    you knwo what you need to do and only yo can change yourself :)

    ReplyDelete