Thursday, October 27, 2011

happily never after

Throughout the years, as I have gone through the ups and downs of recovery, my recovery playlist has also grown. Each song holds a special, emotional, & memorable place in my heart because of how it helped me during that time in my recovery. Music is something that has always been a huge part of my life. Those of you who know me personally know this about me, but for those of you who don't - I have had a passion for singing and songwriting ever since I was young. I wanted to be a songwriter "when I grew up." My eating disorder took this dream away from me as it broke me down (inside & out). But a big part of me still has that dream. And I have been writing more again lately, so maybe....

The song that I wanted to share is one of my current recovery songs. This song is so powerful to me because of everything that I have been through because of my eating disorder. And so, when I first heard it, it gave me chills as I listened to the words. This song is filled with so much emotion for me, and what it's like to feel the freedom of letting go of the ed and believing that I do deserve better. That we all deserve better! And when I listen to it - it gives me the strength and courage I need to keep fighting, and to keep striving for recovery. Throughout my recovery, I have run back to the eating disorder so... many... times. I never thought I would be able to let go of it. And now that I am finally experiencing what life is like without my ed - I never want to go back! And that's what this song is about for me. I hope y'all like it too. It's called "Happily Never After" by The Pussycat Dolls.




(side note: - the "him" in this song is referring to the eating disorder)

4 comments:

  1. Music really helps me too.
    It truly helps us find a voice and literal words to how we feel <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this song! I am definitely always searching for songs that inspiring me in recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very powerful song, especially in the context of leaving an eating disorder behind.

    It is never too late to pursue your dream Jenn! Your illness may have taken a great deal from you but deep down if your passion for singing and songwriting still remains that's probably the most previous thing the ED cannot ever really take :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the song with me! I personally have never really depended on music to get through hard times, I'm more of a writer (but not a song writer) when it comes to expressing myself. I am glad that you are beginning to write again, though! You need to do things that you enjoy and not let your eating disorder take those things from you.

    Have a great day!
    http://www.justbeingjess.org

    ReplyDelete