Wednesday, May 23, 2012

choose a quote that means something to you


There are so many quotes that I love.  So many!  And it's hard to choose just one... but the one I chose for today is the quote that I read every single day.  It's framed and hanging up in my room.  And it's a quote that has helped me - and still continues to help me in my recovery and in life.  And it will be words that I will lean on for the rest of my life.

"Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
At the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."

I love this quote because I think it fits perfectly with the whole attitude of "progress not perfection."  And while I was struggling to recover I seemed to have soooo many setbacks, steps backwards, no steps at all, relapses, ect. And I was feeling so frustrated that I couldn't seem to hang on to recovery.  And that I kept failing.  But what I didn't realize was that you can only fail if you stop trying.  And so I took this quote and held it close to my heart and reminded myself daily (usually many times a day) that courage is not these huge powerful steps forward - a lot of the time it is the quieter, smaller steps that we make that really can make an impact.  Courage is about trying, and doing the best that we can.  And that to me is what recovery is all about.  It's what life is all about.


(the quote that is hanging on my wall)

5 comments:

  1. I love this quote too! These words seem so perfect... "You can only fail if you stop trying."

    You are so gorgeous in this photo ^^^
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn - wish I'd had that quote handy last night for the poor young relapser at my regular meeting. She is a delightful girl from the little time I've seen her about - she came in looking terrible, a week or so sober and she had bright eyes, a smile, a kind word - last night, red eyed, crying, confused and beaten again. Poor thing... I really hope she carries on trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote! You're such an inspiration Ox

    ReplyDelete