Monday, May 7, 2012

forgotten brothers


I have known a couple of guys who have struggled with an eating disorder.  And I know from talking to them just how difficult it is for them.  I know one guy in particular who wasn't willing to get treatment, and the main reason why was because he felt embarrassed and ashamed because he was a guy and thought that this shouldn't happen to him.  But eating disorders affect everyone.  And there is nothing shameful or embarrassing about it.  Nothing.  I wish I could have helped him to see this, and that he could have gotten the help that he needed.  I haven't seen him in a few years but I do hope that he has found that inner strength to reach out and get the help and support that he desperately needed.

I think that not only today, but everyday we should keep these fellow brothers in our thoughts and prayers, and to speak out and educate people about the fact that guys do suffer from this illness also.  If we speak out enough, my hope is that more guys will be able to feel supported enough to seek treatment and find their own recovery.  I believe this day will happen, and I hope that it will happen very soon.   Because they need us.  We all need to stick together and support each other.  And do our part to raise awareness and education to the world about this illness. It's what we need to do.  People's lives depend on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment