Saturday, May 12, 2012

my serenity prayer (for "free style" day)



The Serenity Prayer has always been a big part of my recovery.  And it has been a source of comfort and strength for me in times when I really needed it throughout not only my recovery - but my life.  At one of the treatment centers I went to, they had us personalize the serenity prayer.  It is something that I carried around with me for a long time.  I would read it often and it really helped me.  I wanted to share my serenity prayer on here for free style day, and I encourage anyone out there to write one personal to themselves if they feel inspired to.  It is something I hold close to my heart.

God, grant me the serenity to...
Accept the things I cannot change:
(things like...)
* my past
* other people's thoughts, feelings, & behaviors
* the fact that I am not perfect (and that's okay)
* my "set point" - the weight my body naturally wants & needs to be at to be healthy
-
The courage to change the things I can:
(things like...)
* recovery & ways that I cope
* my future
* standing up for myself & setting healthy boundaries with people
* accepting mistakes I make & accepting myself
* forgiving myself & loving myself
-
And the wisdom to know the difference:
Understanding that I can't always control what happens in my life - but I can control how I react to them, how I cope with them, and how I learn from them and move forward.
---
God, grant me the patience for all the changes that take time,
appreciation for all that I have,
tolerance for those with different struggles,
and the strength to get up and live one day at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment