The Serenity Prayer has always been a big part of my recovery. And it has been a source of comfort and strength for me in times when I really needed it throughout not only my recovery - but my life. At one of the treatment centers I went to, they had us personalize the serenity prayer. It is something that I carried around with me for a long time. I would read it often and it really helped me. I wanted to share my serenity prayer on here for free style day, and I encourage anyone out there to write one personal to themselves if they feel inspired to. It is something I hold close to my heart.
God, grant me the serenity to...
* my past
* other people's thoughts, feelings, & behaviors
* the fact that I am not perfect (and that's okay)
* my "set point" - the weight my body naturally wants & needs to be at to be healthy
The courage to change the things I can:
* recovery & ways that I cope
* my future
* standing up for myself & setting healthy boundaries with people
* accepting mistakes I make & accepting myself
And the wisdom to know the difference:
Understanding that I can't always control what happens in my life - but I can control how I react to them, how I cope with them, and how I learn from them and move forward.
God, grant me the patience for all the changes that take time,
appreciation for all that I have,
tolerance for those with different struggles,