Tuesday, May 1, 2012

i write about eating disorders because...



 I write about eating disorders because... I've lived it.  I've almost died from it.  And I'm recovering from it.  I have struggled with an eating disorder since I was 13 years old, and it has been the hardest thing I have ever been through, but it has also been the most rewarding as I have learned who I am, and as I have grown into a stronger person and reclaimed my life back from the deadly, all-consuming, life-sucking grasp the ed had on me for much too long. I know recovery is possible. And when I look back at the person I was when this blog started and the person that I am now - I feel grateful, blessed, and I want to do anything I can to help others find recovery. Recovery is a beautiful thing, and the freedom it brings amazes me. And if I am able to use my experiences to help other people find that peace and freedom, than that would mean the world to me.
  
Writing has always been a therapeutic tool for me. It's been my way of expressing my feelings when I didn't know how to (or was afraid to) use my voice and speak those feelings and emotions out loud. I started my blog in February 2009 after a pretty horrible relapse. And I started my blog as an outlet for me to help me continue fighting for my recovery... and my life.

I also wanted to be a VOICE. I wanted my experiences to be something that could hopefully educate others about this illness, spread awareness, and bring support to others struggling as well.  Ed's are very lonely, isolating & misunderstood illnesses and I wanted other people who are struggling and fighting for their own recovery to know that they are not alone, that maybe some of the things I have gone through (and am going through), or how I am thinking or feeling is something that they can relate to. I wanted my blog to bring a bit of comfort, peace, knowledge, & understanding to their own recovery. And I also wanted to bring awareness and understanding to people who may not be suffering themselves, but maybe they have a friend, family member, or neighbor who is and they just want to know how to better support them.

I write about eating disorders because the best way to spread awareness, educate people, and support others who are struggling is to talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written...

    Jenn, you are truely a gorgeous person that I admire more than words can say. I look forward to reading your new posts.

    xo

    ReplyDelete