Sunday, May 13, 2012

role model roll call


It's hard for me to just choose a few people for this topic.  There have been so many men and women who have inspired me at different times in my life, and I am who I am today because I knew them.  Whether I knew them personally, or they were someone I knew from the media... different people have shaped and changed my life at times when I needed them.  But since today is Mother's Day, I thought I would talk about some of the women who inspire me.

My mother.  She is one of the greatest examples to me of unconditional love.  My sisters and I couldn't have asked for a better mom.  She always loved us no matter what we did - and I sure tested that love as I was growing up and also struggling with my eating disorder.  But she never stopped loving me.  She never gave up on me even when other people did.  I didn't make it easy for her to love me - but she did, and I knew she did.  And for that, I am grateful.  I honestly don't know where I would be if she wasn't in my life.  She has become one of my best friends.  She is the first person I want to call when I have exciting news.  And she is the person I want to talk to when I am struggling or having a hard time because talking to her brings me so much comfort.  I love my mom so much.  She is a strong woman. She would do anything for her children.  She would do anything for anyone.  She has such a kind heart.  And I love her.  (and my dad too! he is such an example to me.  He is an amazing man.  And I love him so much!)

My sisters are also great examples of unconditional love and what it means to be a woman, and also a mother.  I have three sisters and one sister in-law.  They are all great examples to me.  They show so much love and patience to their children.  They have been involved in church, and in the community, and they give of their time so lovingly to help others.  They are strong women who know who they are.  They are my sisters.  They are amazing.  They are beautiful.

One of my closest friends, Kathryne.  She is a true example of a strong woman.  She has been through so much and still sees the best in life.  The best in everything.  She doesn't let live knock her down, and when it does she gets right back up again.  I admire her so much, and she makes me a better person just by knowing her.

Audrey Hepburn, Angelina Jolie, Ashley Judd, and the many others who give so much of their time, energy, & love to humanitarian work.  They travel all over the world to meet and lend support, raise awareness, and speak out for those who can't.  I admire these women so much. 

Ellen Degeneres is a huge role model for me.  She has overcome so much and has come out on the other side shining.  Her love for life.  Her love for other people.  Her love of bringing laughter and joy into other people's lives is inspiring.

Tyra Banks is a strong, fierce woman.  She does a lot to help promote healthy body image and she has  a foundation and is also a mentor for teens and I think it is so wonderful.  She helps to teach young girls about positive self-esteem and life skills - and she does it because she believes in it.  She is also a smart business woman and is always striving to improve herself. 

All of you out there fighting for recovery.  All of you inspire me.  What you are doing is not easy.  It's the hardest thing you'll probably ever have to do (I know it was for me), and the strength, courage, and beauty I see in you inspires me.

And anyone out there who has overcome adversity, struggled with an addiction and is striving for recovery, or who has overcome obstacles in their lives... you are ALL role models and inspirations to me.  The courage and strength that it takes to overcome these things is a beautiful thing.  And your stories help others find their own light, their own courage, their own strength to keep getting up when life knocks them down.

2 comments:

  1. those are all inspiring role models you named! I can very much relate. I have always been and still am amazed by the unconditional love my parents keep showing towards me. no matter what I do and how hard it is on them, too. and yes, as you say it, anyone who is fighting for recovery inspires me!!

    btw I love the line below your blog title. 'jump and you will learn how to unfold your wings as you fall'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several good friends in my recovery - people in AA near me who have all great stories to tell but most important show me a kind of recovery I'd be proud to achieve. The way the live their lives if great inspiration.

    Who else... hmmm ... many musicians, John Martyn especially for the way he so bared his soul in his music. Phil Campbell who lives his recovery out in his songs. Others for just being fantastically talent and lovely people when you meet them too - Gordon Giltrap has to head that list, lovely man

    A lot of people in my blogsphere, all different types with different stuff going on, some in recovery, those starting out, those with other things to say... all honest people who teach me good stuff

    ReplyDelete