Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Viva La Difference!


More and more often in our world, people are mocked or judged for being different.  But our differences are what make us unique.  And those differences are what should shine through.  I wish we lived in a world where people were celebrated for their own unique differences instead of being judged, ridiculed, or made to feel ashamed of these things..  We need to teach & show our children that expressing ourselves is healthy and okay.  Because it is.  Just because you are different, doesn't mean you are less than.  You are just as important as anyone else.  We are all different, and our differences make us beautiful.

I admire people who are able to embrace their quirks, differences, and imperfections because to me they are real, and they are strong.  They are not hiding behind a "safe" facade - just so people will love or accept them more.  I think our world is too full of judgment towards each other and it needs to stop.  We need to embrace the things that make us unique, and we need to be able to express those things.  Life is meant to be lived, and we can't live if we are too busy judging each other.  And we can't live if we are too busy hiding our true selves behind a mask and trying to be someone we aren't. We pick ourselves apart and compare ourselves - and that damages our spirit.  

I used to hide behind that mask.  I have struggled my whole life with comparing myself to everyone around me.  And wishing I was more like them and less like me.  I never felt like I was good enough, and I spent so much time and energy wishing I was "more like this, or more like that" or wishing "I wasn't like this, or didn't look like that."  But through my recovery, I am starting to find that self-love and self-acceptance that I have struggled to have in my life.  I am learning to believe that I am beautiful and great in my own unique way.  That the things that make me different from other people are the things that make me... ME.  I still struggle with feeling "good enough" or comparing myself to others, but I have come a long way from where I used to be.  And I know that it will only strengthen in time.   

                                    We need to learn to embrace and love ourselves for who we are.  
                                                      Because those people are pretty great!  

                                   And we need to learn to embrace and love others for who they are.
                                                   Because those people are pretty great too!

4 comments:

  1. Splendid post sweetie ♥

    (Thank-you for your kind words on mine also, meant a great deal to me).

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think. I've never been one for much of a "body image" issue but I used to use things a lot to gauge myself, in the past I could have told you every make, model and age of car owned by the neighbours in my vicinity and then relate that to whether that was "better" or "worse" than what I owned... Now I just don't notice, nor care really. My wife made a comment about a neighbours new car - I had to look out the window she said they had got it a month or so back. So different from the old me where that would have sent me into spasms of concern that now I had been moved down the rungs of society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was perfect. We are all different. I used to hide some of my quirks from others. But I know my quirks are what make me. Found your post by chance and glad that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your honesty here Jenn.
    I truly do.
    We can spend so long wishing, wanting to be others, and yet, what we have, what we have within us, around us, it is what makes us who we are.
    You are wonderful my darling <3

    ReplyDelete